15 Reminders You Are a Working Mom
Like many working moms, I constantly try to manage the juggling act of working, taking care of my daughter, be a wife, and manage a home. In the midst of all this chaos, sometimes I find myself laughing out loud at life’s little moments. Those moments consist of not taking life too serious, finding joy even in the busiest of days, and those “keeping it real” moments that occur when you are least expecting it. Sometimes it’s the occasional princess sticker stuck on my high heel shoes or the temporary tattoo on my arm that I don’t notice till half way through the work day, or the conference call I take during a dance class, I am constantly reminded throughout my busy day, I am simply a mom first and my work takes a clear second place. In the short two and half years since I had my daughter, I have racked up a long list of working mom reminders she has shared with me and here are just a few.
You know you are a working mom when…
- Your two year old puts on your high heels, grabs her Princess purse and takes off down the hallway, saying “Bye, gotta go to a meeting”.
- You call time spent in the car goin to work and then back home “me time”.
- On your way to work the CD player has a song playing “If your happy and you know it….”.
- You ask your daughter where her stuffed animals’ mommy is, she replies, “She’s in the playroom working”.
- You go to point out an important item on your spreadsheet to a potential client, and I notice your nails are streaked with purple nail polish from playing “beauty shop” the night before with you daughter.
- You go into my work bag to pull out a piece of paper and pen, and you pull out a Hello Kitty notepad to take notes.
- You kept noticing your boss looking over at your right arm during a conversation, later to check in the office bathroom mirror, it’s your daughter’s breakfast left over from the “goodbye” kiss and hug in the morning.
- You have mastered the “driving while pumping” traffic offense, while not flashing any truck drivers, nor spilling any the precious milk.
- You drop everything you have planned and do an impromptu Mommy and Daughter field trip, when my Daughter responds to your “I love you” comment with, “I love The Sitter”.
- You reach into your purse to pull out a business card, and a pacifier falls out.
- You count the number of hours you are with my daughter and compare it to The Sitter and Daddy.
- Your Daughter has her pretend laptop on her vanity typing away and says “Shhhh..I’m working”.
- You need to pull your hair back at work but all you pull out of your purse is a red and white pom-pom rubber band, and a pink sparkle clip.
- You get up to use the restroom during a company dinner, and you say, “Excuse me, I am going to use the potty”.
- A co-worker tells a funny story and you say, “You are so silly”.
Delekta, Jenn. “15 Reminders You Are a Working Mom.” Arizona Parenting Magazine September 2012: 46